Saturday 28 December 2013

Erebos

obwohl dies ein urspruenglich in deutsch erschienes (und auch von mir auf deutsch gelesenes) Buch ist, liegt auch eine englische Uebersetzung vor insofern meine "Sprachauswahl"

author: Ursula Poznanski
published: 2010



plot: When 16-year-old Nick receives a package containing the mysterious computer game "Erebos", he wonders if it will explain the behavior of his classmates, who have been secretive lately. Players of the game must obey strict rules: always play alone, never talk about the game, and never tell anyone your nickname. Soon he becomes part of the game as well...

what I liked: Even though the world of nowadays teenagers, gaming teenagers even, doesn't interest me a lot I was engrossed straightaway. An inventive story, exciting, not too kitschy or superficial.

what I didn't like: One minor thing I did notice - the plot is set in London (for reasons that become clear in the last third of the book only) but clearly is written by a non-english author. For example someone is taking an aspirin plus vitamin c tablet, no one I know in England would have them at home.

verdict: A fantastic book for teenagers and adults - entertaining, suspenseful and still not shallow. I kept asking myself constantly what I would have done in the same situation. Don't be turned off only cause you are not into computer games!

2 comments:

  1. EREBOS muss ich 2014 unbedingt noch lesen. Von Poznanski habe ich ja dieses Jahr 3 Bücher gelesen und fand alle gut bis sehr gut.

    Off topic:
    Yay! Danke, dass du mit umziehst. Wenn du die ganze URL bei Bloglovin' reinkopierst, müsste es eigentlich gehen?!
    London 2014 steht übrigens fest auf dem Plan, wir peilen Juni/Juli an. Sobald ich mehr weiß, sage ich Bescheid. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book!
    My only advice would be not to read a 'House of Night'-book afterwards, because Erebos is the good one there^^

    ReplyDelete