Tuesday 20 December 2011

Mince Meat

I remember my first encounter with British christmas traditions...walking through the supermarkets I saw mince pies for sale...I was surprised to find them side by side with the biscuits. Later I got some mince pies offered, I refused cause I would never eat any weird small christmassy looking cake filled with mince meat!
After a while I found out the truth...yes, it is called mince pie and yes, the filling is called mince meat as originally it was a pie with meat stuffing. But nowadays it has nothing in common with "the" mince meat (in German: Hackfleisch) I thought about! Since then I love them :-)

1 comment:

  1. I wish they were filled with real minced meat. I was so disappointed when I found out they are not. there is so much sweet stuff everywhere. an alternative would have been great....

    ReplyDelete