Tuesday 5 February 2013

The Royal Tenenbaums

director: Wes Anderson
year: 2001
with: Gene Hackmann, Anjelica Huston, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ben Stiller, etc.



story: "An estranged family of former child prodigies reunites when the father announces he has a terminal illness"

what I liked: it was nice to look at. I liked the quirky set, the retro colours and some beautiful images that were created. And the film music was atmospheric and fitting.

what I disliked: Hard to point something out as I found the whole film so damn annoying. The characters are somehow unseizable, they are arty, unrealistic and abstract but without any charme, wit or heart.
Yes, it seems to be dealing with family problems and structures but to me it felt like it was much ado about nothing.

verdict: One of those films which I thought I might like as, coming from my theatre experience, I normally like arty and exaggerated characters and stories (e.g. Amelie, Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). Turns out I was wrong. Several times I was veeery close to turn it off. Boring, too strange, pretentious.

No comments:

Post a Comment