Sunday 20 July 2014

Before Midnight

director: Richard Linklater
year: 2013
with: Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke, Walter Lassally, Ariane Labed, etc.



plot: It has been nine years since we last met Jesse and Celine, the French-American couple who once met on a train in Vienna. They now live in Paris with twin daughters, but have spent a summer in Greece on the invitation of an author colleague of Jesse's. When the vacation is over and Jesse must send his teenage son off to the States, he begins to question his life decisions, and his relationship with Celine is at risk.

what I liked: I´m a fan of the two predecessors "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset" so had to see this one. As you know I like those slightly plot-anaemic and wordy films and have grown older with Celine and Jesse so can relate to their problems. They both have character and act so relaxed and convincingly with each other that you can´t take your eyes off them.

what I didn't like: The whole scene diing with their friends and discussing life was pretentious and annoying. If they all would have started seducing each other I would have thought I ended up in a French film ;-) And I´m still not sure if I like Julie Delpy or not so I have to keep watching her films, hehe


verdict: They argue, they fight but most important - they love each other. Again a joy to watch, not only because of the picturesque Aegean setting...and the maturing sexappeal of Mr Hawke.

No comments:

Post a Comment