Wednesday 14 November 2012

Rebecca

director: Alfred Hitchcock

year: 1940

with: Joan Fontaine, Laurence Olivier, Judith Anderson, etc.




story: (based on the famous novel by Daphne du Maurier) A young woman marries the wealthy widower Maxim de Winter shortly after they met in Monte Carlo. When they return to his estate in Cornwall called Manderley the memories of the dead first wife Rebecca start to haunt their lives.

what I liked: After having read the book years ago and recently been to the musical "Rebecca" I felt the need to finally watch this classic. Not much to say about it really, a typical dark and slightly spooky Hitchcock film with a particularly scary Mrs Danvers.

what I didn´t like: Maybe there was a little too much hugging and "I love you" declarations and the "dark" side came a bit short. But maybe I´m comparing it to the musical now and so I´m probably biased.

verdict: A classic that is still worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment