Monday 22 April 2013

Chicago

director: Rob Marshall
year: 2002
with: Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere, John C. Reilly, etc.

(there would have been a trailer...if not a thousand "errors" would occur each time I try to watch them on youtube :-/)

story: Chicago in the 1930´s, Velma Kelly - a famous nightclub singer and dancer meets Roxie Hart - a housewife with an ambition to become famous... in jail! They both have murdered and now try to get out of their misery...

what I liked: I love the musical! Funny though that I didn´watch the film adaption of it till now. I can sing along each number and adore the wickedness of the plot. In my opinion they all sung and danced well, no one was standing out too much. Even made me like Richard Gere for once!

what I didn't like: Sometimes it´s a pity to get your perspective steered by the camera instead of having a traditional stage frontal view so you could watch the dancing better. And, I know I know, this subject is so worn out but: Miss Zellweger is so extremely petite and bony in here that she has a typical lollipop head. Not a good look.

verdict: Still one of my favourite musicals of all time. The film version comes very close to a good stage show so thumbs up from me! Fascinating dark and clever story, great costumes, fantastic dancing and songs that will never leave your head again once they have made themselves comfortable in there...

No comments:

Post a Comment