Wednesday 16 May 2012

An Education

‎I’m going to Paris and I’m going to smoke and listen to Jacques Brel and wear black.


director: Lone Scherfig
year: 2009
with: Carey Mulligan, Peter Sarsgaard, Alfred Molina, Rosamund Pike, etc.


story: Early 60s in London - Jenny is dreaming of living a bohemian-intellectual life in Paris while her parents want her to go to Oxford. Then she meets David, a 30 something bon vivant and her life changes...

what I liked: I could instantly connect with Jenny - the dream of living in Paris surrounded by Camus, Brel and Gauloises sounds only too familiar. Not knowing which path to follow, being tempted by a luxurious lifestyle and a charming grown-up man...yep, fully understandable. The film is eyecandy as well, fantastic 60s fashion and Carrey Mulligan being my new girl crush.
what I disliked: Peter Sarsgaard is not really my type otherwise I would have been even more obsessed about how much I can identify with Jenny...;-)


verdict: If you were the sort of teenager too who felt much more grown-up then your mates, this could be your film. If you love the 60s, anyway. It´s thought-provoking, stylish and realistic and Carrey Mulligan is simply stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment